Saturday 26 January 2008

The Forest and A Thousand Splendid Suns

Worked two shifts yesterday, but still found time for some reading as well. I finished The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd, a very good book just like the rest of his books. I know I have already written some about his books and his other books, and this books falls into the same category. The history of England's New Forest told through the eyes of a few select families, which we follow through the ages. As always, Rutherfurd's stories have quite a few unexpected plot twists, and often problems solve themselves in quite amazing ways. A highly recommended books.

After finishing The Forest i had to go back to work, which I did being very tired. But eventually that shifts was over, at midnight, and I returned home where I started on A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, the author of The Kite Runner, now a major motion picture. Well, I started the book and found it quite interesting, though not one of the best books I've read. While some characters were well defined, others I found to be quite two-dimentional. The language, most of the time good, I found to be a bit simple and boring in other places. The story was good though. I haven't read many books about contemporary moslem life and the story of the 15 year old girl, who loses her mother and is sent away to marry a man 30 years her senior was quite moving. The whole age difference thing between the married couple I didn't find that shocking though, I guess after reading as much fantasy and historical fiction as I have, the notion of teenage girl marrying middle aged men becomes quite normal to read about. I feel like I read about it in every other book I read. Well, back to the book. It was good, it was gripping, despite some flaws. I wanna read the Kite Runner now, the book was that good, it made me wanna read more by the same author.

And then, suddenly, the book was finished and the clock showed a little past 4a.m. I had read the whole book in one sitting, something I haven't done in a long time. While reading the book, I lost all track of time and was transported to Kabul. I felt I was there, with Miriam and Rasheed, Tariq and Laila. I lost all track of time. So the book is good, mesmerising, gripping. It told a story set in a society I don't know much about, so different from western society, but happening now. It is a good book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Well, didn't wake up till 3p.m. today, quite late. But I haven't had a regular sleep cycle in two months. Working during the day, then night, then a few evenings, maybe a day agin, then two shifts a day really can mess up your internal clock. Hopefully I'll get a regular job soon, will know on Monday whether I get the manager position at 7/eleven I want.

That's it for now I guess, gotta go to the grocery store. Only my sister and I are home tonight, so we're having tacos for dinner. I buy, she makes. Until next time

cya

No comments: